Tuesday 27 August 2013

Kathirikai Kara Kulambu | Kathirikai Masala Kuzhambu | Spicy Brinjal Curry with Coconut

Spicy Gravy with Brinjal & Coconut-Poppy seed paste



I am very picky about this particular veggie brinjal. I do not enjoy all the dishes prepared with it. For me to like them, they should not have their inherent taste, rather their flavor has to be enhanced with some added ingredients like coconut or lentils :D I am sure that there are many out there who would second me on that. Rather than the simple & normal Brinjal fry or Kathirikai Murungakkai poriyal, I would prefer some more elaborate preparations like Kathirikai Gosthu or Kathirikai Kara Kuzhambu. This is yet another tasty lip smacking preparation of my mom's. Usually she finds ways to avoid coconut but when her Son-In-Law is in town she goes about with the extra indulgence by including coconut. So I actually get to enjoy her preparation when Deeps is at home. Since it is both his & my favorite I prepare this often at our place too. This is very easy to make & makes you have an extra helping of rice too ;)





Recipe Source: Ma

I Took: 40 minutes

Serves: 3-4 persons


I Used:

Brinjal - 4 medium sized 
Onion - 1 medium sized - chopped
Tomato - 1 medium sized - chopped
Tamarind - Lemon sized
Red Chilly powder - 2 tsp
Coriander powder - 2 tsp
Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
Grated coconut - ¼ cup
Poppy Seeds/Khus Khus - 1 ½ tsp
Mustard - ¼ tsp
Fenugreek - ¼ tsp
Curry leaves - A sprig
Coriander leaves - 3-4 sprigs
Oil - 1 tbsp
Salt - As Needed



The Way:

  1. Rinse the brinjal in water & cut them into 2 inch long & 1 inch thick pieces and keep them immersed in water till use
  2. Soak tamarind in ¼ cup water for 15-20 minutes & extract the pulp
  3. Grind together coconut & poppy seeds to a fine paste with ¼ cup of water. Keep this aside
  4. Heat oil in a pan. Splutter mustard. Add fenugreek. When they start to turn colour, add the onions & saute till they turn transparent and start to change colour
  5. Then add the cut brinjals & saute for 3-4 minutes till the oil coats the brinjals and they slowly start to shrivel. Now add the tomatoes & fry till they get mushy
  6. Add the red chilly powder, coriander powder, turmeric powder & salt. Saute well till the raw smell goes off
  7. Add the tamarind juice, curry leaves & 2 cups of water. Allow it to cook in medium flame until the brinjals are cooked
  8. Now add the ground coconut paste & give it a stir. Allow it on low flame for a minute or so & then remove from heat. Garnish with chopped coriander leaves
Serve hot with rice !

Cheers,
Chitz

52 comments:

  1. this looks so mouthwatering...love the gravy with coconut!

    ReplyDelete
  2. love kathirikkai kulambu...looks simply superb and tempting...nice clicks..

    ReplyDelete
  3. chitz curry looks super delicious...so good to treat with hot rice

    ReplyDelete
  4. Any kind of brinjals made into any kind of dish will always be much loved by us. Curries are not complete without brinjals plus fried, stir fried etc etc. I use lots of if because it's really reasonably priced. Will try your version of curry and definitely its so lip smacking.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So delicious and good looking curry!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love karakozhambu a lot and this delicious looking kara kozhambu makes me hungry and tempting me badly dear :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is my favorite veggie and curry too :-) Oh I am drooling here Chitz. The pics look so wonderful

    ReplyDelete
  8. love kulambu. there is something so tongue tickling about this dish. wonderful presentation.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Delicious kathrikai kara kulambu goes well with rice.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yummy Curry......
    x❤x❤
    http://indianveggiesbhojan.blogspot.in/

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh I love brinjal in any cooked form esp when it is cooked in Tamil and Andhra style.I usually buy small round purple ones.I wonder if the curry tastes better with the Chinese brinjal.Chitz which one have u used here?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. U mean the long slender variety Meena? I used that one only. It came out great :)

      Delete
  12. Fingerlicking kuzhambu, love very much.. I can have it anytime.

    ReplyDelete
  13. yummy this looks.. Wow.. would taste awesome with rice.. Loved the recipe dear!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm bookmarking this...love brinjals in gravies as these... feel like grabbing dat plate of rice vit the curry...

    ReplyDelete
  15. this kulambu sounds wonderful.. even as i scrolled down i was expecting the recipe source as : Maa.
    your mother's recipes are always at the top of my to-cook list :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, she would love to hear that Tanu :)

      Delete
  16. Your second picture is just perfect, i love to have these kind of gravies, did prepare my kind of Kathirikka karakuzhambu 2 days back, but yours look too good, would try this out and let you know. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. very different curry chitz,looks so delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  18. wow a different delicious curry..loved the clicks

    ReplyDelete
  19. Kathirikkai Kar Kuzhambu looks inviting.. Wish to have it with rice and appalam..

    ReplyDelete
  20. Spicy yummy kulambu,delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love eggplant dish in any form. Super tempting and spicy dish. Delicious....

    today's post:
    http://sanolisrecipies.blogspot.in/2013/08/paasi-paruppu-payasam-payatham-paruppu.html

    ReplyDelete
  22. Super dear, I love kathrikkai kara kuzhambu my fav, looks very tempting...

    ReplyDelete
  23. kathrikai kuzhambu awesome,as usual nice clicks

    ReplyDelete
  24. I'm drooling looking at your curry... I can eat at least 3 bowls of steamed rice with your delicious curry!

    ReplyDelete
  25. that's a wonderful curry ! my mom makes this very often..miss it :)Nice clicks !

    ReplyDelete
  26. My Favourite karakuzhambu... Nice clicks and good recipe..

    ReplyDelete
  27. Really delicious combo n perfect vth rice...dat mint luks aromatic..

    ReplyDelete
  28. delicious kuzhambu. looks very yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Lovely!! and the pics too are great!!

    ReplyDelete
  30. BEAUTIFULLY CLICKED PICS OF THE CURRY AS ALWAYS,LOVED THE RECIPE TOO,WILL BE MAKING THIS WITH RICE FOR TOMORROW'S LUNCH,THANKS FOR SHARING :-)

    ReplyDelete
  31. If you ask me, I like brinjals in any form.. Wonderful and superb kulambu Chitz.. Nice clicks too..

    ReplyDelete
  32. I feel the same way about brinjal, it's flavor need to be enhanced with coconut and spices :D That's why I rarely use it in the European cuisine. I like to stuff them too (yum!) and a curry satisfies my cravings too. Sounds and looks very inviting Chitz. =)

    ReplyDelete
  33. finger licking kara kulambu, well presented dear...

    ReplyDelete
  34. I have two beautiful golden eggplants sitting in my refrigerator and now I know exactly what I want to do with them. Love this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  35. The curry looks delicious Chitra, I am a brinjal convert and love it in all forms, will try this recipe soon.

    ReplyDelete
  36. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Really Love it....nice way of preparing Veggie.... :)

    ReplyDelete
  38. Wow interesting kuzhambu should be so delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  39. Ahhh, this reminds me of the thenga varutharacha curry. The ingredients do differ - but it looks so good :)

    ReplyDelete
  40. Brinjal is my favorite :) i never so no to this veggies :D three times a week it has place in my kitchen !

    ReplyDelete
  41. I am sure this must have tasted delectable :)

    ReplyDelete
  42. Love this flavorful kulambu..looks delicious

    ReplyDelete
  43. Thanks everyone for your lovely comments.. Do let me know if you tried out this gravy & how u felt about it. I would be happy to know :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by !! I am really happy that you take time to let me know how you feel :-)